Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Reston
Help! Is my menses normal?
Menses vary from woman to woman, but in general they occur every 24 to 38 days and last up to 8 days. When a menses is not normal, it is called Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB).
Examples of abnormal menses include:
- Cycle occurs more often than every 24 days or longer than every 38 days
- Variation between cycle length is more than 7-9 days
- Menses lasts for longer than 8 days
- Bleeding or spotting occurs between menses
- Bleeding occurs with sex
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Bleeding after menopause
There are two times in a woman’s life when it is normal to have irregular bleeding. These are when a woman first starts having her menses or is transitioning into perimenopause. The cycle length can vary and women can even skip menses. Bleeding can also become heavy or light.
What causes abnormal uterine bleeding?
There are many causes of abnormal bleeding. Below is a list of some of the causes:
- Pregnancy, such as miscarriage and ectopic
- Fibroids and polyps
- Issues with ovulation
- Infection, such as sexually transmitted or an infection of the uterine cavity
- Thyroid disease
- Certain medications
- Birth control methods, including birth control pills and IUDs
What tests will be done?
Many tests can determine the cause of abnormal uterine bleeding. The type of tests done also depend on your age and medical history. In general, the types of tests done include:
- Pregnancy test
- Cultures – check for a sexually transmitted infection
- Bloodwork – assess if your thyroid is working properly. May also screen for other conditions, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and perimenopause depending on your cycle and bleeding
- Ultrasound – determine if polyps or fibroids are the cause of your bleeding
- Endometrial biopsy – assess for an infection of the uterine cavity and uterine cancer
Schedule a Consultation for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Reston, VA
If you are experiencing symptoms of abnormal uterine bleeding, contact the board-certified OBGYNs at Perfectly Female to discuss your symptoms, the cause of your condition, and the treatment options available. To schedule an appointment at our gynecology office in Reston, VA, please call (703) 796-0200 or request an appointment online.
For more information, please see our Health Library
Additional information can be found at ACOG FAQ’s
If you would like to discuss this further with one of our Providers, click here to Setup a Consult